Sunday, February 25, 2007

snow in the truckee meadows

Finally the snow has stopped. The backyard, and all the fence-building materials -- the two-by-fours, chicken wire, wheelbarrow, and cedar slats -- are blanketed with wet snow. Looks like I'll have to wait a while to resume work on that project. The streets in the neighborhood glisten under the streetlights. The university quad, which the school was inexplicably watering less than a week ago, is buried. It was really just a few inches here in Reno, even after snowing all day. Seems like a lot of effort for only a little reward. The Sierras, though, are claiming they got two feet.

A first post on this new blog seems to demand some sort of mission statement. So I'll say a little bit about that. I hope to entertain, to provoke, and to occasionally inspire whomever happens by. I envision an audience mainly of people who stumble their way here, as well as a few friends and family who have time on their hands. I'll discuss politics, art, music, books, mountains, rivers, and people. The things I love. But something more than a public diary. I'll say more later. For now it's time to get back to Ralph Ellison.

No comments: